Saturday, September 18, 2010

Kelven's Riddle is Changing Hands

My dad's books, the first and second in the Kelven's Riddle fantasy series, are now in my favorite bookstore here in Arizona. And that bookstore, Changing Hands, is by my favorite pastry shop, Wildflower Bread Co., and that pastry shop introduced me to the idea of pumpkin and chocolate together in a muffin which was a glorious epiphany for me, I can tell you.

But where was I?

Ah, yes...I'm very excited for Dad's books to be in this healthy independent business that my children and I have gleaned so many books and so much pleasure from. Plus after gazing at them on the shelf for many minutes in pride, I can go eat a pumpkin chocolate muffin and think about how my dad would just love to have one, too, but he can't because he's all the way in Texas.

Also, I've been thinking, if Dad's books ever got made into a movie (we do not dream small, my family; it's a cursed blessing), I know just the song that should play at the closing scene of The Walking Flame when Aram is on Burning Mountain with Thaniel and the small army from Derosa, and Ka'en is waiting for his return.

This song, The Only Promise That Remains, reminded me of Dad's books the first time I heard it, and I recently listened to it again on a road trip. It was dark on the highway except for the car's headlights, and I began to visualize the last minutes of the horrific scene on Burning Mountain with now and then a shot of Ka'en standing on the terrace of her home looking toward the smouldering horizon, heartsick, waiting for Aram to come back as he promised he would.

But considering that this song is sung by Reba McEntire and Justin Timberlake, I'm not sure Dad would approve my choice at all.  It's from a Reba Duets CD. It reminds me of a Loreena Mckennit song with its melancholy Celtic-like beauty.

And after all, it does not have to be sung by Reba McEntire and Justin Timberlake. It could be sung by Toby Keith and Lady Gaga (that's a joke, folks).

Here's to this great story you've begun to tell, Papa. And here's to the speedy completion of Book 3, because I expect it by Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!